Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Book Meme


D'oh! Tagged by Lance Mannion! (I'm not sure about the "gentleman" thing, though, nor even the "scholar"... )

Here's how you play:

• look up page 123 in the nearest book
• look for the fifth sentence
• then post the three sentences that follow that fifth sentence on page 123.

Monsieur Mannion mercifully grants a Liberal Fascism exception.

I'm sure you'd be shocked to know that in front of the two massive, overflowing bookcases (thankfully bolted to the wall at last, since I'm in earthquake territory) by my desk are stacks of books piled up in loosely organized piles. (Yes, ladies, I'm a catch.) In any case, I grabbed a book within reach, one of my favorites, Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, "A Collection of Zen and Pre-Zen Writings" translated by Paul Reps:

No sooner had the Buddha spoken than that Bodhisattva sprang up from the earth and bowed and paid homage to the Buddha. Buddha directed him to arouse the girl. The Bodhisattva went in front of the girl and snapped his fingers, and in that instant the girl came out from her deep meditation.

Dude. That's deep.

(Certainly more serious than my entry for the Band Meme.}

If you're interested, that's from koan #42 of The Gateless Gate. "The Girl Comes Out From Meditation." It's pretty apropos for me since Mumon's comment includes: "If you can understand this intimately, you yourself can enter the great meditation while you are living in the world of delusion." So, um, I'm afraid I'll be stuck there 'til at least November 2008.

Anyway, if you'd like to be tagged — you're it!

4 comments:

Brave Sir Robin said...

I keep forgetting to do this one.

I'm always at work when I think about it, and I don't think sentences from these books are going to be very exciting:

pg. 123, sentence #6 -

"When required, shall be equipped with a cycle counter to monitor the volume of liquids being pumped, and sight glass to track operation."

I'll try to remember at home.

Sherry said...

I'll see your koan and raise you an Eliot.

Well, not really. I don't have a koan to hand and am way too impatient ever to do Zen.

Guess we're the deep ones, huh?

Comrade Kevin said...

You're late, novice. :-)

Batocchio said...

Hey, I saw this meme going around, but I didn't feel like jumping in, and I wasn't tagged, CK - or should I say, padwan? ;-)