Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Banned Books Week


I was just reminded that it’s Banned Books Week, a great tradition from the American Library Association to celebrate the many great works that have been attacked over the years. Much more information is available at their site here.

During my last year teaching high school, I was pleased to notice that without any conscious design, every single grade level was reading at least one banned book (proof we were doing at least something right).

Incidentally, my favorite challenge remains the one to Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax on the grounds that it was essentially pro-environmental propaganda. I tell you, can’t we have a children’s book advocating clear-cutting old growth forests and killing off endangered species for equal time? It’s those damn hippies that are ruining this country!

No comments: